Events and celebrations are all about marking those big moments in our lives. Weddings, baby showers, birthdays, and graduations are all special occasions that create lasting memories. So when the partyâ€™s over, itâ€™s time to express your thanks and gratitude with a heartfelt note.
To help you craft the perfect message, weâ€™ve put together this guide on how to write a thank you card. Discover how to structure your thank you card, plus find inspiration for your message wording and card designs.Â
How to Write a Thank You Card: What to Include
Most thank you notes follow a similar structure, which helps you relay your message in the most memorable way. Here are some helpful tips on how to arrange your thank you card or note.Â
Consider the Format
Before expressing your thanks, think about how you want to deliver your message. Some people opt for a text message or phone call instead of sending a note, while others prefer sending a more traditional greeting card in the mail.Â
A great way to send your thanks to loved ones is with a digital thank you card. Greenvelope offers a near-endless range of templates for you to customize. From colors and fonts to everything in between, you can fully personalize these online cards with your recipientâ€™s name and your greeting.Â
Address the Recipient
The first thing to get right in your thank you card is to address your recipient. Most thank you notes begin with â€śDearâ€ť followed by the recipientâ€™s name (or names, if youâ€™re sending a card to a couple or group). Depending on your relationship, you could also keep it casual or more personal with something like â€śTo my best friend in the whole world!â€ť
Before you hit send on your thank you card, double-check the spelling of the personâ€™s name. If youâ€™re not sure, check with a close friend or family member who can confirm for you.Â
Express Your Gratitude
The most important part of a thank you note is expressing your gratitude for what the recipient has done â€” whether thatâ€™s attending your birthday party, sending a baby shower gift, or offering support during a difficult time.Â
Make sure you include the words â€śthank youâ€ť or some variation of the phrase. You could keep it sweet and simple (â€śThank you for being there for meâ€ť) or add some flair and talk about how grateful you are that your guest could make it to the most meaningful day of your life. (We have more ideas coming up, so keep reading.)
Personalize Your Thank Yous
Saying thank you is essential, but donâ€™t just leave it at that. In most cases, youâ€™ll want to personalize your thank you message so your recipient feels uniquely recognized and valued.Â
Immediately following your expression of thanks, add a sentence or two that goes into your gratitude in more detail. For instance, if you were sent a gift, you want to make sure the gift-giver knows you received it safely.Â
An easy way to personalize your thanks for a gift is to mention it by name or type, and include how youâ€™re going to use or enjoy it. Talk about how youâ€™re excited to start writing in the new journal they sent you, or how youâ€™re going to use their generous gift of money towards renovations in your new home.Â
Look to the Future
Many people choose to add a line or two that looks towards the future. This way, you open up space to continue the conversation or create an opportunity for the two of you to catch up sometime.Â
For example, if youâ€™re sending a thank you note for a baby shower gift, let your recipient know youâ€™ll send a note out with the babyâ€™s name and details when they arrive. If someone sent you a lovely, â€śnew homeâ€ť housewarming gift, return the thanks with an offer to host them for drinks or dinner soon.Â
Sometimes you wonâ€™t get the chance to make specific plans. If thatâ€™s the case, add a thoughtful note about how youâ€™re thinking about your recipient â€” or say that youâ€™d love to chat with them soon.Â
Confirm Your Thanks
The goal here is to let your friend, family member, or loved one know how much you appreciate their presence or gift. Before you sign off, add a final note that reiterates your gratitude.Â
This is the perfect way to close your thank you card as it brings things full circle. Stick with a short and sweet â€śthank you againâ€ť or opt for something like â€śweâ€™re so grateful you could join us for this wonderful day.â€ť
End With a Warm Sign Off
Itâ€™s time to end your thank you note with a friendly sign-off. Hereâ€™s where you use a handful of words to close out your message before adding your name.
Adjust your sign-off so that it matches the reason youâ€™re sending the card and who the recipient is. You might stick to â€śSincerelyâ€ť if sending a thank you note after a job interview, but â€śLove you alwaysâ€ť works great for a thank you card to a close friend.Â
How to Write a Thank You Card: Wording Ideas for Special OccasionsÂ
Looking for the right words to express your gratitude? Hereâ€™s a collection of our favorite thank you card wording ideas for those big moments in your life.Â
Itâ€™s wonderful to be showered with love for your soon-to-arrive little one. Hereâ€™s how to write a thank you card for loved ones who attended or sent gifts for your baby shower.Â
- Thank you for joining us at the baby shower! Weâ€™re excited to dress [Babyâ€™s Name] in your beautiful onesie when they arrive.
- Thanks so much for making it to my baby shower, [Name]! I know you had to travel quite a distance. We appreciate you.
- Weâ€™re so glad you could join us, [Name]. We canâ€™t wait to introduce you to our little one when the time comes.Â
With a wedding on the way, celebrating your bridal shower was super fun. Let your closest friends and family members know how happy you are that they were able to join you.
- Thank you so much for organizing my bridal shower, [Name]. It was an amazing night and I canâ€™t wait to have even more fun on my wedding day!Â
- Thank you for coming to my bridal shower, [Name]. I canâ€™t wait to book a spa day with the voucher you so kindly gifted me.
- Iâ€™m so glad you could make it to the big night out, [Name]. It wouldnâ€™t have been the same without you!Â
Ready to send out thank you notes for your wedding? Share your thanks with these lovely wedding thank you card wording ideas.Â
- Weâ€™re so happy that you could join us to celebrate our special day. Thank you for the beautiful memories.
- Thank you for your generous wedding gift, [Name]. Weâ€™re excited to use it to cook up a storm in the kitchen!Â
- Thanks so much for the thoughtful gift, [Name]. I canâ€™t wait to invite you over for drinks in style.
Birthday parties are so much fun, in large part because of the people who attend. Hereâ€™s how to express your thanks to those who joined you to celebrate.Â
- Thank you for the wonderful birthday gift, [Name]. Iâ€™m so excited to play the new game with everyone!Â
- Thanks so much for your generous gift of money [Name]! Iâ€™m going to spend it on new art supplies.Â
- Iâ€™m so looking forward to spending my gift card on homeware. Thank you [Name]!
Moving to a new home can be an exciting time, especially if itâ€™s to your dream home. Let your loved ones know how grateful you are for their well wishes, support, and gifts with these words.Â
- Thanks for helping our new house become a home! I canâ€™t wait to invite you over for dinner.Â
- Thank you for helping us move all our stuff to the new place, [Name]! We couldnâ€™t have done it without you. Next month â€” dinner on us!
- [Partnerâ€™s Name] and I are so grateful for your generous gift â€” weâ€™re going to use it to toast our new home!Â
Writing a follow-up note to the hiring manager after a job interview can really leave a positive impression. Hereâ€™s how to write a thank you card that expresses your appreciation for the opportunity.Â
- Thank you for inviting me to interview with you at [Company Name]. Iâ€™m looking forward to hearing from you.Â
- Iâ€™m so grateful for the opportunity to talk to you on [day], [Name]. Please let me know if I can help you in any way!Â
- Thank you so much for the chance to interview for the [position] role at [Company Name]. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Loss of a Loved One
Losing a loved one is one of the toughest experiences in life, but family members and friends often rally around with their love and help. Hereâ€™s how to write a thank you card to someone whoâ€™s supported you through this difficult time.Â
- Thank you for helping me through this difficult time, [Name]. You have no idea how much your support means.Â
- Iâ€™m so thankful for your presence over the last few weeks. Itâ€™s made this time just a little bit easier. Thank you.Â
- Thank you for your kind words and generous support in helping me sort through things. Losing [Name] has been tough, but youâ€™ve been a shining light of love throughout.Â
General Thank You Notes
Just want to say thank you for an everyday moment, or express your gratitude to someone you care about? Hereâ€™s how to say it with a few thoughtful words.Â
- Thank you for your thoughtful gift, [Name]! You really know how to make me feel special.
- Thank you so much for being there for me. I appreciate your thoughtfulness throughout this journey.Â
- Iâ€™m so glad we got to spend time together on [date], [Name]. Thank you!Â
How to Write a Thank You Card the Easy Way
Show your friends, family members, and party guests just how much you care with a sweet thank you card. Choose the perfect design, then craft a heartfelt thank you note inspired by the message ideas in this guide. Put the finishing touches to your thank you note, then send it on its way to your recipients. For more inspiration on all things related to lifeâ€™s special moments, keep browsing the latest tips and ideas in our Stationers blog.