They say it’s the thought that counts, and that’s certainly true when it comes to sending thinking-of-you cards. Whether you’re offering warm wishes, expressing sympathy, or simply letting someone know they’re on your mind, a thinking-of-youÂ card is a simple act of kindness that can go a long way.
A thoughtful note is a breath of fresh air in the midst of life’s daily hustle and bustle. It’s a powerful way to connect with the people who are important in your life â€” and remind them that you care. Join us as we share some ideas on how to craft a message that suits the occasion and the recipient, so you can start customizing your own thinking-of-you cards.
How to Write Thinking-of-You Cards
When it comes to writing a thinking-of-you greeting card, the process can feel a little daunting. Unlike birthday cards, thank you cards, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or other specific holiday cards, there isn’t always a definitive reason for sending thinking-of-you cards. And that’s exactly what makes them so special. Especially in our busy, 24/7 lives, it can be hard to find the time to reach out, but even more important that we do.
That blank card is your chance to share a truly personalized message that lets the person know you care in any given situation. To spark your creativity, here are some specific types of thinking-of-youÂ cards and sample scenarios when you might want to send them.
Get Well Cards
Whether someone is in the hospital or recovering at home, sending a get well card is a lovely way to let that person know you’re thinking of them. While you canâ€™t go wrong with a heartfelt message, sometimes laughter can be the best medicineÂ (even science says so).
Some ideas to consider:
- Thinking of you and sending warm and happy thoughts as you recover.
- Can’t wait to celebrate with you once you’re up and at ’em!
- Sending you lots of healing thoughts for a fast recovery.
- Here’s to feeling stronger every day. You got this!
- Well, well, well. Yep, that’s my wish for you.
- Get well soon? Forget that! Take as long as you need. This is your one chance to do nothing and have everyone else wait on you hand and foot.
Whether it’s a divorce, loss of a loved one, or losing a job, sympathy cards are a touching way to remind someone that they are not alone. While you might worry about what to say, sometimes less is more. Depending on the circumstance and how close you are to the person, a simple “I’m thinking of you” or “I’m so sorry for your loss” can be all the sentiment required.
Consider some of these messages:
- I know how agonizing this must be for you. Iâ€™m sending lots of loving, comforting thoughts your way.
- I am heartbroken about your loss. Sending you my most profound condolences during this difficult time.
- I can’t imagine what you’re going through, but I am here to listen whenever you need me.
- It’s OK not to be OK. If you need someone, I’m here.
- This too shall pass. Here’s to brighter days ahead.
Baby shower cards are nothing new, so imagine how surprised the new parents would be to receive a “just because” note card several months after the baby’s birth. Depending on your relationship, you can craft a humorous or tender message that lets them know you’re thinking of them during this major life transition.
Here are some fun ideas for baby cards:
- Just a note to say youâ€™re on my mind and I hope you’ll eventually find that sleep you lost over the past three months.
- Wow, you’re a parent. And you know what? You’re doing a great job. Even when you think you’re not, you are.
- Your little one is the greatest gift of all. The second greatest gift? Me babysitting for you. Seriously, let’s make it happen. You have my number.
- Diaper changes, 3 a.m. bottle feedings, and crying for no reason. How are the joys of parenthood going for you?
There’s no reason to wait for Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, or someone’s birthday to say “I love you.” Every day is an opportunity to express your love for that special someone. Romantic thinking-of-you cards are also a great way to lighten the mood or lift your partner’s spirits during a stressful time.
While you could offer a simple message of love, think about a time when you were both particularly happy and recall it in your note. Maybe it was that whirlwind weekend you spent in New York last spring, that long-awaited summer vacation in Maui, or just an ordinary night when you made dinner at home. If you’re at a loss for words, include a quote or lyric from one of your partner’s favorite writers, movies, or musicians.
Some love card messages to consider:
- Every day is a special occasion when I’m with you. Now, let’s celebrate just because!
- Sir Elton took the words right out of my mouth: How wonderful life is while you’re in the world.
- Remember the spaghetti and meatballs we made that Monday night? That was one of my favorite nights ever.
- I know these past few weeks have been tough. But we’re tougher.Â I love you with all my heart.
- Getting under the covers and watching bad reality TV with you is my idea of heaven on earth.
- Maya Angelou said it best: â€śIn all the world, there is no heart for me like yours.â€ť
Some of the best thinking-of-you cards revolve around friendships. There doesn’t need to be any specific reason for sending a note to a friend, other than to say you cherish the relationship you have. Whether it’s your bestie or a close acquaintance you’ve enjoyed getting to know better, a friendship card is always a good idea.
Try these messages to get you started:
- We have a bond thatâ€™ll never be broken. Except when it comes to who gets the last glass of rosĂ©. Then all bets are off.
- You’re not just a friend. You’re family. Thanks for always being there for me.
- You are the embodiment of #friendshipgoals.
- I love you more than carbs. How’s that for friendship?
Miss You Cards
Whether you live miles apart or you’re simply unable to see each other because of physical distancing, a miss you card is a wonderful way to let someone know youâ€™re thinking of them. Here are a few ideas to get your message across:
- Although we can’t be together in person right now, I’m so grateful that you are in my life. Miss you much.
- Zumba class just isn’t the same without you. Maybe we can Zoom together instead!
- Dear BFF: IDK how I’m getting by without you literally by my side. IOU a visit IRL ASAP!
- I thought I missed gluten, but missing you is so much harder.
Good Luck Cards
Starting a new job, studying for a big exam, preparing for a performance, or embarking on a new business venture: Whatever the case may be, a good luck note card is just the ticket to wish someone well. Here are a few different scenarios to let someone know you’re thinking of them:
- Who needs luck when they have you? Congrats on the new job!
- Wishing you the best for your upcoming show. You’re gonna rock!
- Thinking of you as you embark on your new adventure. Here’s to the excitement that awaits you!
- I’m so proud of you. Itâ€™s time to get excited for the next chapter of your life!
- You should be very proud of yourself. I’d wish you good luck, but you don’t need it ’cause you’re awesome.
Show Your Loved Ones You’re Thinking of Them
Thinking of you. Those three little words can often be as powerful as those other three little words we hear so much about. In a go-go-go world where everyone is busier than ever, taking a moment to create a thinking-of-you card can help you stay connected with the people who matter most in your life.
Whether it’s forÂ a moment of gladness, sadness, or no particular reasonÂ at all, a message from the heart is always appreciated. For more ideas on staying in touch with friends and family, be sure to check out our digital invitationsÂ for all of life’s special moments.